CNY Day One Breakfast Spread
Mixed Berries Sweet Rolls & Mini Cinnamon Rolls
I would love to bake everything from scratch, then I could pick good quality raw ingredients and know exactly what go into my bake goods. However, some time, we just don't have the time. I am not a morning person. I'll never be those who can wake up bright & earlier to bake a loaf of fresh bread.
On the first day of Chinese New Year, I wanted to make something special for Hub as we hardly have breakfast together even on weekends. Since the Chinese populated part of the world stops spinning on first two days of Chinese New Year, we basically have nothing to do on these two days. Thus, we do what we do best, EAT.
Like I said before, I am not a morning, so I need a bit of "help" to bake these sweet rolls in time for breakfast!! Therefore, I look to ready-made dough that can be purchased at the chill section of supermarkets. With these "helpers", I whipped up 8 mixed berries sweet rolls and 15 mini cinnamon rolls within half an hour, otherwise would take 3-4 hours!!
In the following recipes, I will include both the quick & easy method, as well as, make from scratch process. And if you hadn't known, I'm also the person behind Food Is Love, where I "save" all my recipes. 99% of the recipes are tried & tested by me, and I still cook & bake from most of these recipes from time to time.
Mixed Berries Sweet Rolls
MIXED BERRIES SWEET ROLLS
Makes 8 sweet rolls
One can (8 biscuits) Immaculate Buttermilk Biscuits**
Cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1 tbsp ground cinnamon; save any leftover in a air-tight container)
Fresh mixed berries (you can use all raspberries)
Powder sugar (a.k.a. confectioner sugar or icing sugar)
** To make from scratch: Make a batch of scones dough, omits the cranberries, lemon zest & egg wash in the recipe, and divides the dough into 8 portions. Once this is completed, you can follow all the steps laid down below. Btw, the Brits call them scones while the Americans call them biscuits, they are referring to the same thing.
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) Prepare two muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray.
3) Roll out a biscuit dough until about 1/4 inch thick.
4) Sprinkle rolled out biscuit dough with 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar.
5) Place 4-5 fresh berries in the middle of the rolled out biscuit dough, then smash the berries gently.
6) Roll up the biscuit and slice it into three pieces.
7) Place the 3 pieces (cut sides up) in one cavity of the muffin pan.
8) Repeat for all 8 sweet rolls.
9) Bake 14 - 17 minutes until sweet rolls are light golden brown.
10) Allow to cool slightly and remove to a cooling rack or serving platter.
11) Sift powder sugar over all the sweet rolls and serve.
Adapted from Shaken Together.
"Naked" or Unglazed Mini Cinnamon Rolls
MINI CINNAMON ROLLS
Makes 15 mini rolls
For the mini cinnamon buns:
One can Pillsbury® Original Crescents
4 tbsp (you can use more or less) Cinnamon Sugar (1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1 tbsp ground cinnamon; save any leftover in a air-tight container)
2 tbsp butter, melted
For the glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp heavy cream (or whipping cream)
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) Prepare your mini muffin pans by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
3) Melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
4) Open your crescent dough and lay out in one large rectangle. Gently pinch the seams together.
5) Brush melted butter all over the laid out crescent dough.
6) Sprinkle generous amount of cinnamon sugar on buttered dough.
7) Starting on the long side, roll the dough tightly from one side to the other, forming a log, and pinch edge together to seal
8) Cut into 15 rolls, 2cm each. There is no need to be that precise but make sure all the pieces are of the same size.
9) Place one roll (cut side up) in one cavity of the prepared mini muffin pan and repeat for all 15 rolls.
10) Bake the rolls for approximately 10 minutes in the preheated oven or until golden brown.
11) While the rolls are baking, stir together the glaze ingredients.
12) When the cinnamon rolls have cooled enough to handle, drizzle glaze all over the rolls. Serve immediately!
Want to make cinnamon rolls from scratch? CLICK HERE!