Friday, August 23, 2013

I Made A Dress!

I Made A Dress!
Bloglovin | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

I made this peter-pan collar cut-out dress just before my trip to the Mediterranean. Originally, it was a plain baby-doll dress that was 3 sizes too big. I bought it anyway because I really like the fabric.

I first unpicked the waistline and made a cut-out on each side. Then I sewed down the two sides to make it fits comfortably at the arm-pits and bust-line before proceeding to work on the cut-outs which was a lot more tedious than I thought. I tried 3-4 times before I got it right. I was surprised the fabric managed to survive all the abuses. Phew!

After several trials & errors, I eventually sewed some small pleats at the lower parts of the cut-out before stitching on the elastic bands so that skirt part of the dress will sit nicely on my waist.

And finally, I hand-stitch the lace peter-pan collars (that I bought a few years back) to the dress and the dress is complete! YAY!! I'm rather proud of myself being able to do so without any training in sewing.

I packed the dress in my luggage and we took some photos along La Promenade des Anglais in Nice, outside some private houses facing Hi-Beach. However, the photos didn't come out very well as it was nearing 9pm with only a bit sunlight left. And there was a lot people walking around, making me feel rather self-conscious and uneasy to pose for the camera.

Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to make a dress out of a piece of fabric ;)


I Made A Dress!

DIY Dress.
Zara nude wedges.

32 comments:

  1. wow!great you are!amazing dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely dress!
    you are a genius!!

    toinfinitynbeyond13.blogspot.hk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice pictures!
    I love the way you alter this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post just inspired me to start sewing again, I love how this dress turned out, you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! The dress looks great with the cut-outs and the collar :)

    Helen at "Hels Yeah" xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job it looks lovely! Such an amazing fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so cute! That fabric is lovely.

    http://www.katielikeme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! you look amazing ! This look totally suits you

    + would you like to follow each other?

    www.izabielaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on making this dress! It's so flattering on you :)

    ~Jacy
    www.laviedelenore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow so beautiful, great dress, lovely you :) happy week-end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a sweet dress u made.....so you

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a cute dress. love love love <33

    http://pinktearydream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always check on your blog. You always have a pretty look..a total inspiration!!

    Hope you can check my new post! Have a great day.

    gabrielletaduran.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love anything DIY and this dress is so amazing babe! I agree, the fabric is too pretty to give up!

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow it's super cute, looks great on you <3

    Cute to the Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi sweety, this dress is so pretty, you did a splendid job of it! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done, such a pretty dress!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful work! Really well done! And it fits you perfectly!

    xoxo

    Julia from aboyeur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, you cut out the sides on that by yourself? You are quite the little seamstress and I love how this dress turned out. Girl, you've got sewing skills. I adore the texture of your dress so much and what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of the coolest outfits! You have styled it so perfectly!!
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg that is amazing!! I can't sew for my life, what more resize a dress. Love the cut outs!


    xx Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this is a beautiful dress! And you made it! You're amazing and I totally envy your talent.
    Hugs & Kisses,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing! Well done hun! Super like the dress!



    Roma
    www.romaloveamor.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so beautiful!! You've done a great work!

    http://voguesweetvogue.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the cutout of the dress. it really shows you are detailed. and i like how feminine the dress is. you look pretty as always :) keep in touch <3

    Joyce @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. That dress is so beautiful !
    You're very talented !

    www.sinbowtie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank you everyone for the lovely comments <333 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness, you are SO creative and talented! I absolutely adore this dress. Seriously love your blog!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete