Thursday, May 5, 2011

Julie, Julia and Me

I have been watching Julie & Julia again and again and again. I'm rather inspired. I wish I have the determination of Julie Powell to cook thru the entire Juila Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking which is as thick as an encyclopedia.

If you haven't known, I am a huge food show junkie. I constantly finding myself switching between AFC and TLC whenever my ass is stuck to the couch. I would watch the re-runs and re-run of the re-runs. I wish I have access to Food Network.

I truly believed if I could cook thru Julia Child's book, I would be a much better cook than I am now.

But there are other technical issues other than my lack of determination.

1) I don't have Juila Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I don't own any cookbooks. Thanks to internet and power of google.

2) When I find a recipe is too tedious, I would look around for an alternate recipe with simpler steps. Julia Child was trained at a professional culinary school in Paris hence it is almost natural to assume her recipes/ techniques will be a little chefy. For example, I am now tossed between Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon and Laura Calder's boeuf bourguignon. Laura's method appears simpler but on the other hand, I would have to peel 40 pearl onions instead of 18 - 24. Umm… get what I mean?

3) I don't own a casserole pot. All my pots are fit for the oven but not their covers :( Le Creuset's, the one that is Made in France, is my dream casserole pot but it's beyond my budget. And I have yet to strike Mark Six. Excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

A person like me shouldn't even deserve a place on this planet. I am just wasting oxygen with my loads of bullsh!t excuses. Julie Powell didn't own a Le Creuset's casserole pot and her boeuf bourguignon turned out fine.

Okay, enough of self-bashing and back to the movie.

Other than the food & cooking that drawn me to this movie, it is the loves & understandings between Julia & Paul as well as Julie & Eric that keep me watching it over and over again. Nora Ephron is such a great director and her casts are fantastic. Meryl Streep, Stanley Tucci, Amy Adams, and Chris Messina… BRAVO!

1 comment:

  1. I actually hated this film. The only bit I liked was the food! I wrote about that a couple of months ago

    ReplyDelete