Friday, April 1, 2011

Madeleines & More

I always thought of madeleines as French coffee cakes, as in cakes intended to be served with coffee or tea during coffee breaks. But apparently not. Most American & Canadian chefs classified madeleines as cookies. Umm... whatever. Most important is their deliciousness, cookies or cakes. Heh!

After trying out 2 French recipes in a span of a week, I observed that French seems to take delight in complicating things. I studied several madeleine recipes and this, from the French pastry master himself, has to be the most elaborated. For examples,

#1 "rub everything together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist, grainy and very aromatic."

#2 "Squish the butter through your fingers to create what is called a pomade."

#3 "Place the pan in the oven, insert wooden spoon in the door to keep it slightly ajar, and immediately turn the oven temperature down to 350F (180C)."


ARGHHHHHH!

But I still stick to this recipe because it's "BRANDED"! Please pardon my shallowness *sheepish smile However, I skipped #2 & #3 because I am squeamish to have butter squishing through my fingers and my oven doesn't allow me to keep the oven door ajar even if it's slightly. Ahem.

Chocolate & Lemon Madeleines

Chocolate & Lemon Madeleines


I managed to achieve the humpbacks on the madeleines, it's like a prerequisite to a successful madeleine. Hence the whole time while they were baking in the oven, I kept chanting "Bump! Bump! Bump!" Probably that's how I ended up with a huge hive on my cheek as I wasn't very precise where the bump should be T T

And even after I buttered & dusted the pans, small bits of the madeleines still sticked to the pans when I lifted them off. Haiz! Despite the unsightly unevenness, they tasted pretty good. Moist, fluffy & chocolatey! I think chocolate has saved the day yet again. However, I was disappointed that the lemon flavour didn't come through. I didn't cheat. I diligently rubbed the zests & sugar with my finger tips & even took the initiative to sniff the sugar to make sure it's aromatic. Conclusion, it definitely needs more lemon zests than the amount stipulated in the recipe.

By now, you may have thought that I had given up on my healthy-diet-to-trimmer-self mission. Nope, I have not *grin* These were my one-dish meal dinners for the last 2 days. I love one-dish meal simply because I am lazy to clean up after a meal.

魚香茄子撈麵
Stir-fry Brinjal on Noodles


Super quick & easy.
Ingredients: LKK 魚香茄子 sauce premix, brinjal, noodles, water & a little bit oil.

1. Cook noodles (I used Oolong noodles) in a pot of boiling water.
2. Stir-fry brinjal with a little vegetable oil then add LKK 魚香茄子 sauce premix, stir well.
3. Add noodles & a little water into the pan after the brinjal is heat through.
4. Mix well & serve hot.

**魚香茄子 = spicy garlic (& salted fish) sauce for eggplant.


Tomato, Olives & Herbs Linguine

Tomato, Olives & Herbs Linguine
Tomato, Olives & Herbs Linguine


This is an adaption to Jaime Oliver's Simple Summer Spaghetti recipe. I substituted lemon basil & majoram with a mixture of rosemary, lemon thyme, oregano, basil & mint because my tiny pots of herbs didn't allow me to consume any herbs in bulk! HAHAHA!

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of your summer linguine, so pretty! I think I know which recipe you tried, lol! Bkmarked it yet to try. I might give it go when I get back the madeleine mold from Lil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He shall not be named on this post. LOL! Too embarrassing :X The summer linguine is super fuss free, dun even need to cook any pasta sauce. It's light & refreshing. Yum! You should try, I have put a link to the recipe in the post :)

    ReplyDelete